TUE: SINGAPORE GOVERNMENT SEEKS CLARIFICATION FROM WASHINGTON POST OVER POFMA POST
The Singapore Government has accused the Washington Post of “perpetuating false allegations” with their decision to partially publish the Singapore Government’s defence of POFMA.
(Picture Credits: The New Paper)
Read more about this issue at Channel News Asia.
WED: TRUMP IS IMPEACHED
The US House of Representatives has impeached President Donald Trump on charges of obstruction of congress and abuse of power. The process will continue in the Republican-controlled Senate, where conviction is unlikely.
(Picture Credits: Jaye Young Seah)
Read more about the impeachment at BBC.
FRI: BREXIT TO HAPPEN? DOUBLE CONFIRM!
The UK House of Commons has passed the withdrawal agreement bill for the UK to leave the European Union on 31 Jan. The bill is now pending a further decision by the UK House of Lords.
(Picture Credit: The Guardian)
Read more about the details of the withdrawal bill at The Guardian.
SAT: STRIKETHROUGH ALL HOPE FOR AN END TO ONGOING FRENCH STRIKES
In response to pension reforms proposed by French PM Emmanuel Macron, “hundreds of thousands” of protestors have participated in strikes for nearly two weeks.
(Picture Credits: France24)
Read more about why these reforms were met with strong objection at France24.
SAT: HUGE MINDEF & SAF DATA LEAK
The personal data of 2,400 MINDEF and SAF personnel may have been leaked in a potential ST Logistics data breach. (Picture Credits: The Straits Times)
Read more about the data breach at The Straits Times.
SUN: DEATH TOLL RISES TO 23 AS INDIA PROTESTS IN DEFENCE OF SECULARISM
As of 22 Dec, 23 have died in violent protests against India’s new citizenship law, which critics fear is a covert attempt to relegate Muslims to second-class citizens in India.
(Picture Credits: Financial Times)
Read more about why the Indians have such fears at Time and Washington Post.
IN OTHER NEWS:
1) COP25: Longest climate talks end with compromise deal
2) Two dead, thousands of homes without power as storms hit France
3) Teacher gets jail and caning for molesting 7 boys in his CCA
4) Singapore’s November exports fall 5.9% in 9th straight month of decline
5) Pakistan court sentences former military ruler Musharraf to death for treason
6) Pope lifts ‘pontifical secret’ rule in sex abuse cases
7) Beijing urges UN commission not to consider Malaysian claim in South China Sea
8) N. Korea conducts ‘another crucial test’ at satellite launch site
9) US Pacific commander says China seeks to intimidate region
10) Maguindanao : Philippine family clan members guilty of massacre
11) Practice of withholding results slips should be reviewed: Ong Ye Kung
12) Trump has begun 2024 campaign and is eligible to serve third term, senior Republican says
13) Putin says impeachment case against Trump is ‘fabricated’
14) Climate change, floods and drought: Here’s how badly Singapore could be affected
15) US Navy bans TikTok from mobile devices saying it’s a cybersecurity threat
16) New Zealanders hand in 56,000 guns during amnesty
17) Trump officially launches US military ‘Space Force’
Contributors: Chu Yao Quan, Joseph Ong, Lee Chee Yong